About the Altona Laverton Historical Society Inc
The Altona Historical Society was formed in 1961, incorporated in 1996 and in 2000 amalgamated with the Laverton Historical Society to form the Altona Laverton Historical Society Inc.
Its aim is to encourage the study of the history of Altona and Laverton area through the acquisition of relevant objects, photographs, information and archive material, making these available to members and the community for their research.
The society has increased its membership and now includes long term residents, newly arrived residents who want to know more about the Altona area and junior members.
The aim of the society is to be relevant to the community by providing information and education on historical and current issues of the area.
We would also like our collection to be more accessible to the community for research purposes.
Our current areas of research are listed in the research area under the Altona Homestead Museum.
The society has also started to host a number of events at the homestead and in the park including ghost tours organised by Lantern Ghost Tours and visits by many clubs and schools.
Upcoming events can be found under Events.
The Altona Homestead Museum has an extensive collection of photographs and documents through which visitors can gain an understanding and feel for local community life experienced in the past.
In the future we would like to collect local family histories through this website.
We would also like to use it as a place for the community to store and display their experiences and knowledge of the history of Altona and surrounding areas.
Statement of Purpose
- To encourage the study of local history, especially related to Altona.
- To acquire either by purchase or donation and preserve for the use of the society, all such objects and materials as may be considered by the committee to have a relationship to the history of Altona.
- Establish and furnish an historical library, museum and picture gallery.
- To preserve or assist in the preservation of historical landmarks of Altona.
- To accept gifts of money or chattels whether testamentary or otherwise and if necessary or advisable to perform execute or adopt any conditions or trusts attached to such gifts.
- To promote interchange of information among members of the society by lectures, readings, discussions, excursions, and exhibitions of objects of historical significance.
- To print, publish and circulate such journals, periodicals, books and other literary publications as may seem conducive to any of these objects.
- Generally to do all such acts and deeds to further the aims and purpose of the society.
Committee of Management 2016/17
Maureen Lane, Jude Kirkman, Owen Hyde
Formal Volunteer Roles 2016/17
Tuesday Open Days:
Joan Kent, Elaine Tamlyn, Ann Cassar
Ann Cassar, Owen Hyde
General Meeting Dates 2017
7.00 pm at the Homestead:
13 June 2017
8 August 2017
10 October 2017 (AGM)
12 December 2017